Frequently Asked Questions
1. How old do I have to be to hire a car?
Drivers must be 18yrs old or over. If you are between the ages of 18-20 the insurance excess is $2500 and you are not eligible to purchase CDW (collision damage waiver) to reduce this excess. A $2500 bond is required.
If you are 21 or over the excess on the insurance is $2000, however this may be reduced to NIL by purchasing CDW.
The only exception to this is our Today's Deal car category - for this car type only, hirers who are 18-20 years old may purchase CDW in order to reduce the insurance excess to NIL. In this case, so long as the hirer presents a credit card, they will not be required to leave a cash bond.
Note that to hire a specialty vehicle (MPV, SUV, Family SUV, Premium SUV, 4WD SportsWagon and Premium Elite) you must be 21 years old or over and hold a full drivers licence, ie. a restricted (or Australian red P1) licence is not accepted.
2. What is included in your rates?
Our rates are fully inclusive of GST, unlimited KM and standard insurance. Standard insurance has an excess of NZ$2000.
3. Is the vehicle fully insured?
The rate includes standard insurance which has an excess of $2000. To secure this excess we require a credit card or a bond. For an additional charge you may purchase a further insurance called ‘Collision Damage Waiver, (CDW)’. See our insurance page for the charges.
4. Can I travel one way and leave the vehicle at a different location?
Yes you can collect the vehicle at one location and return to another. There may be a minimum hire requirement.
5. Can I leave the vehicle at Wellington/Picton?
We can arrange for you to leave the vehicle at Wellington/Picton and then collect another rental vehicle at the other side of Cooks Strait. This will save you the cost of the car on the ferry. (Minimum hire periods may apply.)
6. How old are the vehicles?
Our vehicles range between one and ten years old depending on the category you hire, all are fully maintained to the highest standard and receive a full valet and 40+ point safety check before each hire.
7. Do you have Diesel cars?
No, sorry. No diesel cars on fleet.
8. Can you guarantee an automatic or manual car?
Yes if you request an automatic vehicle we will guarantee this for you. If you prefer a manual car we will request this for you but we are unable to 100% guarantee. We will do our utmost to meet your request.
9. Do you have non smoking vehicles?
We do discourage clients from smoking in our vehicles.
10. Do you offer discounts on activities?
Yes we can provide you with our free Omega Travel Guide that is full of discounts off activities throughout New Zealand, plus we are building a list of operators who offer a discount upon presentation of your Omega keytag - and you can find these operators listed on our Discounts Page.
11. Can I collect my vehicle in the middle of the night?
You may collect and return the vehicle outside office hours. There are parking charges incurred for this which vary by location and will be shown as you progress through the booking process.
12. When is my credit card charged?
Credit card details are taken to secure a booking. No charge is made until you uplift the vehicle. Full payment is taken upon collection of the vehicle.
13. Do you accept licences that are not in English?
If your overseas driver licence or permit isn't in English you must carry an accurate English translation in order to be able to drive in New Zealand. The translation must be provided by:
- A NZ Transport Agency authorised translation service (由NZTA认可的翻译机构), or 或
- A translation document issued by a Notary Public Office in China. (由中国公证处出具的有效驾照翻译公证件)
- A diplomatic representative at a high commission, embassy or consulate, or
- The authority that issued your overseas licence (an International Driving Permit may be acceptable as a translation).
You can find further information by clicking on the following link:
14. Do you accept Debit Cards?
If you wish to use a Debit card (such as Visa Debit, Debit Mastercard or Prepaid Travelcard) a bond is required to be charged to the card and this will be refunded upon safe return of the vehicle. The bond is $400 where the hirer has taken Omega’s Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or $2000 ($2500 for 18-20 year olds or those on a restricted licence) if CDW is declined.
15. How does the AA 24hr Roadservice program work?
As of 1 Feb 2015 the AA is changing the way it operates the AA 24hr Roadservice Program.
In the event of a mechanical breakdown call the AA and they will send out a Service Office to assist you. If your need for assistance falls in the 'driver error' category - ie. flat battery, changing punctured tyres, lost keys, locked out of car, out of fuel, there is a fee that you will need to pay to the AA prior to their attendance. Call out fees are between $90 and $165 incl GST depending on your geographic location.
16. Can I return my car early?
Yes of course, however 48 hours notice is required if you would like a refund for the unused days. Similarly, if you are returning the car later than expected 48 hours notice is required in order to avoid paying the 'unauthorized late return' rate.
17. What happens if I return my car late?
If you give us 48 hours notice that you wish to extend your booking, we'll extend it at the same rate as your current hire. If you return it late without giving us any warning this is called an 'unauthorized late return' and is charged at $25 an hour for up to 4 hours, then $80 per day thereafter in addition to your current daily hire rate.
18. Do I have to pay for tolls and traffic infringements?
Yes, you do need to pay for any tolls or traffic infringements incurred and where possible it is best to pay these yourself and avoid an infringement notice being sent to us at Omega. If we are required to charge a toll fee or traffic infringement to your credit card, a $30 administration fee will be added to cover our processing time.
19. Can I hire a car on a restricted or provisional licence?
If you are over the age of 18 and on a restricted (or Australian red P1) licence you can hire a car from us, however there are a few conditions.
1. In all car categories you have an insurance excess of $2500 which cannot be reduced and you will need to pay a bond of $2500 on your credit card at the start of your hire. This is then credited back to your card upon safe return of the vehicle and any accessories.
2. You are not eligible to hire our speciality vehicles - the MPV, SUV, Family SUV, Premium SUV, 4WD Sport Stationwagon and Premium Elite range. You can hire our Economy and Premium Budget cars without selecting CDW.
Note that if you are 21 or over, on a full licence (or an Australian green P2) licence the above conditions do not apply.
If we have not answered your question please ask us at email@example.com and we will get back to you within 24hrs.